The American Farm School of Thessaloniki

afs logo

The American Farm School of Thessaloniki (AFS) is very different from your average high school.  “Challenging, experiential, unique, residential, hands-on, green, traditional, life-changing…” are a few words alums have used to describe it.

AFS students come from the rural mainland and islands throughout Greece, creating a uniquely diverse student body. Building on more than a century of tradition developing stewards of the land, AFS prepares future leaders who value the wise use of natural resources, preservation of the environment, application of life sciences for solving problems, and effective utilization of information technology. Although AFS students must complete the full academic curriculum required of all Greek accredited high schools, our diversified educational farm serves as a living laboratory that supports applied research and hands-on learning…and feeds the school.

The high schools have a combined enrollment of 290 students, from 10 of the 13 regions of Greece. 80% live in campus residence halls and the remaining 20% live at home in Thessaloniki. 50% are from farming families, while the rest are from rural Greece or have parents with a significant relationship to agriculture. All students receive a significant scholarship – from 50% to full scholarship – based on a sliding scale relating to grades and family income.  Students work daily on the farm, and our every meal is rich with what they have planted and nourished.  Students can birth calves, make wine, and tell if it will rain. They have lived a combined academic and life experience which has made them honest, engaged, genuine, principled, and hardworking. If you are seeking someone different, come meet our kids.  We welcome U.S. admissions representatives for college presentations Monday through Friday during the afternoon. Our students will give you a tour of the farm and if time allows, our farm director will treat you to an olive oil or wine tasting.

We hope you come to Greece and look forward to welcoming you to our campus!

Charlotte Bailey, College Counselor
(+30) 2310 492 845 cbaile@afs.edu.gr

The American Farm School campus is located approximately 10 kilometres (6 miles) east of downtown Thessaloniki, Greece’s second largest city.

By Air
Macedonia International Airport (SKG), with frequent service from Athens and major European and international destinations, is 5 kilometers east of campus.

By Train or Bus
Trains and buses from Greek and European destinations arrive at the OSE Thessaloniki Train Station in downtown Thessaloniki and the KTEL Bus Terminal on the west side of the city. Taxis and local bus service are available at both locations. From the KTEL Bus Terminal, take the No. 8 bus to the OSE Thessaloniki Train Station. Using the same ticket, take the No. 10 bus to its terminal in Harilaou. Using the same ticket, take the No. 66 bus to the 7th stop, marked the American Farm School.